A stressful family and how to cope

The word stress is defined in the dictionary as, “any type of change that causes physical, emotional or psychological strain.” Stress is our body's response to anything that requires attention or action. As humans, we are all subject to stress. Can you recall times when your family was under stress? How did your family members cope? Growing up in a big family was highly stressful. Especially when we had to go somewhere, it seemed like we could never get anywhere on time. Here are a few tips I learned: (1.) Create boundaries and roles, (2) Communicate openly & handle conflict with charity (3) Seek outside counsel (4). Build emotional intelligence skills. 

  1. Creating boundaries with each other is a healthy way to determine stressors and self-guidance. It also helps with knowing how to speak to each other. It can help determine what are one’s triggers and or promote self-awareness. 

  2. Communication is a huge skill and stress reliever. I’ve had the opportunity to have managerial experience on many different occasions and most conflicts are resolved when clear communication is present. Most of the time, it helps to communicate when both parties understand the way they communicate. For instance, I am a very direct person and my mother is sensitive and doesn't like it when people raise their voices. 

  3. Asking for help is a difficult task. When my mother was diagnosed with cancer, it was a huge stress point in my family. We all thought of the worst that coils happen. It was difficult to understand that could lose my mother almost instantly. So, a few of my siblings and I sought counseling and therapy. I learned different ways I could self-cope and not entertain harmful thoughts. 

  4. Our family is our emotional support system. Emotions offer a positive contribution when making small and or big decisions. When dealing with relationships. We can develop our emotions to act as messengers of truth instead of allowing them to control us. 

When the COVID-!9 pandemics was in full swing, we were counseled to stay indoors and quarantine. At the time it was my parents two of my siblings and me. I felt as if I was losing my marbles. My siblings and I fought all the time! So we became creative and started a shaving cream contest. We would fill balloons and water guns and play pranks with each other. Soon we realized that we didn't mind each other's company as much as we thought. It became fun to play pranks and make each other laugh. We learned how to get along and now, we have better relationships. I am grateful for the experiences that make me who I am. One day I hope to teach my future family how to enjoy each other's company and teach them how to enjoy small memories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage and sexual intercourse

Fatherhood

The System of the Family